Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Disconnecting

FYI: I am finally getting around to posting more about my Italy trip - I'm home now, but going back and posting about my past experience this summer.

“I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” ~ Lillian Smith

During my week in Vitorchiano, I have been completely disconnected from the outside world save this phone booth, which dubs as the village cats’ litter box, and an international calling card. Each day I called Julia and Aaron, and occasionally my parents, for updates, smiles, and loves. Over the week, I had no internet, no ichat, no facebook, no email, no cell phone, and no TV. What made this experience more isolating is that only three people in the village spoke English. I missed my family and communication terribly, but this forced journey within gave me time to read and to write. It also gave me time to think about my priorities, my students & teaching, and my family life. Often times I get into high gear and just go without thinking about what road I’m on or where it’s taking me. It’s been nice to switch off the distractions and responsibilities in order to shift into low gear. Many probably think it’s selfish to “wander around Italy” for a couple weeks, but I honestly think this will make me a better teacher, family member, and friend. I’ve had the chance to learn from a master teacher of writing how to write – this will help me serve my students better.

No comments:

Post a Comment