Friday, June 4, 2010

Arriving in Vitorchiano

“This sensual yearning for knowledge, this insatiable wanderlust, this long desire.” ~Anatole France

I enjoyed the train ride to Vitorchiano from Florence. It gave me a chance to see the countryside of Tuscany through Umbria and on to the Lazio region where Vitorchiano is located. The poppies are my favorite....

“To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” ~Bill Bryson

I met Sandy, the other woman taking the writing workshop and my new friend, and Mrs. Simonicini, our driver, at Orte train station. It's about a 20 minute drive to Vitorchiano from the station. Mrs. Simonicini speaks extremely limited English, but Sandy tried to communicate with her. Poor Sandy was tricked at the Rome station because a man told her he could get her a ticket to Orte on a bus. So she gave him 30 euro and he disappeared!

Here are a couple pictures of Vitorchiano from across the gorge. My window is on the right side of the picture.





When I arrived at Vitorchiano, I met Linda and her husband, Sergio. I couldn't say enough good things about them! I felt welcomed and instantly comfortable with them.



This is "my window" in my flat.


Sunday morning, I was able to experience some of what it means to live in the village because they had a "procession". The Catholic processions are a big deal here and several are carried out over the year. The pictures posed here are of the procession in honor of St. Amanzio.


Notice the cat under the table...there are many cats that wander the streets here.





The flower designs are stunning.





No comments:

Post a Comment