Friday, May 28, 2010

Exploring Florence

Today was my first full day in Florence. I have been studying the people and the place for things to write about – I think I make people nervous that I’m always writing things down in my little journal. I have so many stories in my head, but I don’t know where to start. More importantly, I don’t know what to write about or who my audience would be. I have so many collections of journals and writings that I don’t know what to do with, but I’m sure it will come to me one day.

Anyway, back to Florence….I started my day with some time inside Santa Maria del Fiore. The history of this landmark church and dome had my full attention. It baffles me how Brunelleschi could plan such a dome and carry out the structure so long ago. Climbing 400+ steps was worth the view of Florence from above.

After this, I wandered over to the Piazza della Signoria for lunch. Today this is area is lined with cafes and people meandering around the square, but it once was the spot where Savonarola set the famous bonfire of vanities. Thinking about Savonarola my mind turns to a dark, dismal place – the thought of him burning books, paintings, mirrors, musical instruments and so on still curls my lip. I’m glad those days are over here and I was able to enjoy a light lunch outside. Luckily, I was under a large umbrella because it began to rain.

I then strolled over to the Uffizi Gallery to see a great collection of Renaissance art. I was most impressed with the great hall and the thought that the Medici once walked through it. Seeing Botticelli’s Venus was a highlight, as well.

My favorite part of the day was my jog to the train station for my Saturday ticket and then over the Arno River and back. I was dodging people, mopeds, bikes, cars and buses, but it was worth it!

I feel like I must apologize for my lazy writing. It’s not very entertaining or descriptive– just an account of what’s happening. I’m just so tired at night…I’ll have many, many hours of writing time once I begin my workshop. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment