Thursday, August 27, 2009

Where I Grew - O'Neill



O'Neill is a small town in central Nebraska. I grew up here going to Catholic school and dancing on the shamrock in the middle of main street each St. Patrick's Day. As I reflect on the places of this small town that shaped me: the library where I was filled with imagination and smell of books when I visited, the kiddie park that was just down the street from my house where I spun down the tornado slide, Torpins Rodeo Market where I learned about commitment to a job as a check out girl, and St. Mary's Schools where I created friendships that have lasted a lifetime & faith that has held me upright when times were tough.


One of my favorite places in O'Neill is my parents' backyard. As a child, their hammock held great joy when I played games like "Alligator" or snuggle time with mom or dad. As I grew older, I would lay in the hammock looking up through the tree branches, thinking. Walking into their backyard brings peace and fond memories.



Now I live in O'Neill with my family and this town has taken on new meaning to me as an adult. One thing I truly love about it here is having a sense of community. I like that most people know who I am and that when I go to the grocery store there are friendly faces greeting me. Some think it's intrusive that everyone knows your business (and yes, at times that is not the best thing), but I have seen this town come together in tragedy or times of need and I appreciate it. The school I work at is a good place to be. I have great colleagues and students that make me smile everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment